Thursday, June 26, 2014

sam's story

I've always cared about "the orphan." I mean, it's a scriptural mandate, right?

"Cursed is anyone who withholds justice from the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow." Then all the people shall say, "Amen!"
Deuteronomy 27:19 NIV

I cared. It was sad that there are orphans. I became a Christian at a young age, and I had the blessing of being taught the bible. So I knew that orphans, widows, the oppressed, the poor and needy...these were ones that my Jesus cared for and about. I started sponsoring a Compassion child. Mentally, I think I said, "Check! Orphan care off the list. What's the next thing I need to work on, Jesus?"

But then I met an orphan. And her name was Monica. His name was Peter. Her name was Memory. His name was Dan. Something beautiful and heartbreaking started to happen in my soul. When I traveled to Uganda in 2013, my heart hurt for the orphan more than I knew it ever could. Through eMi I worked with ministries to design and build more buildings to care for orphans. I volunteered at a local babies home to love on some precious littles. I met my sisters at DOORS Ministries, and fell in love with being an "auntie" to sweet teen boys in what can mostly simply be called foster-care. My heart began to really hurt for how their hearts had been hurt.

Some of the DOORS family last Easter

Friends and little loves at Nsambya Babies Home
Quickly, all my conversations with Jesus became ranting sessions. I referred back to all those scriptures time after time asking Jesus, "Why are there orphans? And where is their justice?!" Graciously, He reminded me that his heart hurts more than mine does for the plight of the orphan. And slowly, he began to reveal to me that a small piece of justice for the orphan may look like "family." Some of this justice may come in the form of an earthly family, and ultimately it means being welcomed into His heavenly family.

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, 'Abba! Father!'
Romans 8:15 ESV

So, when I got back to America last fall, I was eagerly looking for ways to bring the orphan justice. But the orphan didn't live in the babies home down the street anymore. In America, the orphan lives in the foster care system.

After meeting with some folks at the Global Orphan Project, I heard about Christine. Here comes the crazy. She was praying about opening her home for teen girls in the foster care system...and she didn't want to do it alone. She was praying for a partner in ministry; for one extra hand to go buy milk at the grocery store. I left that meeting shaking with fear and trembling with hope. I could've cried for terror and joy all at once. Me? Jesus, are you asking me to be that extra hand?

Since that day, there have been many more fears and doubts. There have been plenty of days full of teary-eyed faithlessness and flat out stubborn I-won't-do-it-ness. I almost promise you can not come up with a reason for us NOT to do this that I haven't already thought of (and nearly been convinced of.) But there has been a thousand times more grace, answered prayers, confirmation from the Holy Spirit, and sweet sweet encouragement from our faith communities. There has been so much more "Yes" from Jesus to this chance to share his family with precious kids who deserve the justice of his invitation.

Now, you will find Christine and I living in a zip code that sees the 2nd largest number of kids coming into foster care in KC. You will find us seeking guidance and wise counsel for loving on kids who have suffered trauma. You will find us finishing up the foster care license process and preparing The Peery House to become a place for love and justice to teen girls. Some days you will still find me nervous, but most days you will also find me full of faith for what he plans to do.

Jesus is at work in my heart, and thankfully he promises to carry that good work through completion.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 1:6 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment