I want to scream and yell at the schools. THIS CHILD IS HURTING. IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT. Just LOOK at what has happened to them in the last few months. PAY ATTENTION. CARE.
I want to ache and moan for every child who tries to hurt themselves. For every child who has been hurt. There are so many. YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN YOU THINK. You are valued. Treasured. Loved. Worthwhile.
And I want to rage against the system. I am angry for kids torn from families. I'm furious at the drugs brought into a group home. I could cry for the sex ed these kids are getting. I could HURT those who have abused them. And I want to tell them all that I'm sorry, too. I'm sorry they have to come to my house instead of going home. I'm sorry mom can't pay the bills. I'm sorry the school kicked you out. I'm sorry daddy left. I'm sorry for all the things that have been done to you that I don't even know about.
So sorry.
But I know a guy. He says he'll give you rest. You weary ones. He calls to you. He says "Come and see. Taste and see that I am good." He says he will bind up the brokenhearted. He says he'll set the captives free. He says he will restore. He says he loves you.
And so I repeat his words to you, dear child with a broken heart, "Come and see."
-sam
Amen to the lament, and amen to the hope in the midst of that lament.
ReplyDelete